Brad & Heather's Journal

Sunday, April 09, 2006

So, I'm feeding our animals ... gave water to the cat, sprinkled fish food in the Beta's bowl, sliced up a grape for the Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches and then the tadpole. Okay, I know it shouldn't have come as a surprise. I mean, something was clearly wrong with him. The booklet said that he was supposed to turn into a frog within three to four weeks and he had been with us since Christmas and still only had tiny legs and a huge tail. But to see him lying on the floor of his tank belly up was more than I could handle. I mean here I was getting emotional and I still had to break the news to my five-year-old, who has become very attached to Swimmy. Fast forward an hour later -- lots of tears and talk of Frog Heaven -- which must exist. And burial practices of most Judeo-Christian cultures. And materials that we might use to contruct a memorial (Two popsicle sticks, a rubber band, a magic marker, and a bit of ribbon.) We buried him in the garden under the hydrangeas. We said a few words and talked about how much Swimmy meant to all of us. Okay, so here's the thing. This was a tadpole we had for three and a half months. I have had my cat for thirteen years....I am not even close to ready to think about that one. Must sleep.

Heather

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home