Brad & Heather's Journal

Friday, June 02, 2006

Pet Deathwatch

Okay, I can’t have frogs anymore. Cats, fish, cockroaches… I can handle. For some reason the care and rearing of tadpoles and frogs seem to elude me. We now have a serious graveyard in my backyard, of course all commemorated by Popsicle sticks tied together with ribbons. Every morning I stumble into the kitchen and peek into the fish bowl. I’m sure I’m giving him an anxiety disorder the way I have him on deathwatch. The Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches seem fine too, although I’m not sure I would know if they were ‘not fine’. How can you tell is a cockroach is sick? See? I’m obsessing.
The other thing I can’t stop thinking about is the fact that summer is now here. When I lived in Maine, I used to get so excited when the flowers would come out and the berries would start to grow. Now that I live in Texas, I feel a sense of doom hanging over me. I know soon it is going to be a kajillion degrees outside. When I was little, I remember it being so hot here that the rubber gaskets around the car windows would melt, sending little rivers of black goo running down the glass. I think I have reverse SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder). Instead of getting down when the cold sets in, I find myself moping around at the end of spring. By September I rally a bit. Once October hits and the leaves start turning and you can get awesome apples and Halloween is just around the corner, I am good.
Guess I had better go check on the fish again.
Heather

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home